Bijoux en jeu – Swiss Contemporary Jewelry Design
Workshop: a narrative trip
Tutors: Chai Jichang, Yang Ziyi
Time: 10:00-16:00, Feb. 4, 2018 (12:00-13:00 lunch)
Venue: 2F Education Interactive Area, PSA
How to Register: The workshop fee is RMB 80/person (cost of work). Online reservation – PSA official WeChat account "PSA".
*Thanks to AIVA International Visual Arts Education for its support.
psD (power station of DESIGN) is currently presenting “Zhuzhu Opera” Swiss Contemporary Jewelry Design Exhibition, which showcases nearly 300 pieces of jewelry design by nearly 30 designers in Switzerland from the 1960s to the present. While you are admiring the modern jewelry design, I wonder if I am eager to try, and I am eager to create a special piece of jewelry. psD provides you with this experience journey. We invited contemporary jewelry artist, Chai Jichang, director of jewelry at Zhejiang University of Tongji University, and Yang Ziyi, director of AIVA International Visual Arts Education and Jewelry Teaching, to bring together a one-day jewelry design workshop – “a narrative trip." Even if you don't have a professional background in design, you can experience this one-day design journey!
This workshop will introduce one of the important components of contemporary jewelry: narrative jewelry. His inspiration comes from six main directions: inspiration from symbols or logos, social or political issues, the natural world, the body, performing arts or science and technology. From "narrative jewelry", we can always feel a memory, an emotion or a story, which gives the charm of jewelry and other art forms. Therefore, "narrative" can be regarded as the essence and soul of contemporary jewelry.
During the workshop, Chai Jichang began with a lecture on narrative contemporary jewellery. He will not only introduce the importance of narrative to jewellery creation, but also combine the works exhibited by “Yuzhu Opera Po” to conduct an example analysis and lead us from Audrey Desanta's banknote badge goes to Julie Ussel's plastic pearl and enamel ring; from Otto Kunzel's advertising symbol to Bernard Schebing's "dangerous" glass bottleneck. These inspirations are based on our common visual language and everyday materials, and are the best expression of this era and personal emotions. I hope that the students can harvest a new perspective and use jewelry as a “record” way to create their own works.
10:00- 12:00 Lecture and Workshop
12:00- 13:00 Lunch
13:00- 15:30 Workshop
15:30- 16:00 Student Works Demo and Review
In the morning of the workshop, Chai Jichang will introduce the relevant background knowledge of narrative contemporary jewelry and important exhibits of “Yuzhu Opera Bao Swiss Contemporary Jewelry Design Exhibition” through lectures. After the lecture, the students will draw and capture visual materials based on the story and share their own stories related to jewelry. The instructors will inspire the students to create one or three lines of poetry within a limited number of words based on their own stories.
In the afternoon of the workshop, the participants will introduce to you a personal item brought by you. If you do not have a student who prepares your personal materials, you can randomly select from the available items we provide. Under the guidance of the instructor, the students will combine the stories and visual materials created in the morning with this unique object to create a corresponding jewelry work.
About the Tutors
Born in Shanghai in 1984
Currently Director of Jewelry Design at the Zhejiang Campus of Tongji University
AIVA Head of Chinese Prep Teaching, Birmingham College of Art and Design
Independent jewelry creator
1. For successfully enrolled students, please bring an item as a creative material – the object can be old things filled with personal memory.
2. The workshop materials are prepared by the event organizer. Students can bring their own basic materials and tools such as paper and pen.
3. Participants will pay a fee of RMB 80. This fee cannot be invoiced. Please understand if there is any inconvenience.
4. After the event is successfully registered, the relevant staff will contact the participants to inform the follow-up.
5. On the day of the event, participants who have successfully signed up will be admitted to the VIP entrance (Miaojiang Road side) 10 minutes before the start of the event.
6. All students please arrange your own lunch. You can go to the restaurant on the 7th floor of the museum, or eat outside the museum, but do not eat in the exhibition hall and activity area of the museum. Thank you for your cooperation.